Just in case you don’t have Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, etc.) and you want it, you can get it through the University for free.
To download office you can visit https://www.office.com and select sign in on the top right hand corner. Use your zips. E-mail to login. When you have logged in you should be able to download office 365. If you have questions about the Office 365 account you could call and ask IT at (330) 972-6888. Or, you could ask at the law school IT desk.
Check out our new Substance Abuse and Mental Health library guide! As most of you know, mental health and substance abuse are important topics among lawyers and law students. It is for that reason that every law student is required to attend at least one hour of substance abuse lecture. (Akron offers one free lecture once per semester for your convenience.) We at the library have also created a guide on the topic offering a collection of resources, including screening tools, counseling contacts, articles, books, blogs, and websites. If you or someone you know is struggling, take it seriously and seek help. The library guide is not intended to diagnose or treat illness or addiction, but to connect you with people and resources that can. Let’s have a great semester, and be sure to take care of yourselves!
Congrats on making it to finals! The library knows how stressful this time of
year can be and we have some things to hopefully help alleviate some of that
Please stop by the circulation desk in the library every day
during finals (not just on Wednesdays!) for fun games, earplugs, and healthy
and unhealthy snacks (such as fruit, candy, cookies, coffee, and tea)!
The library has also invested in some study aids (examples
include the Q&A and Understanding series) that aren’t limited to the 24
hour check-out period like OASP materials.
Please stop by anytime to take advantage of what we have to
offer and de-stress a little.
Good luck and enjoy your summer!
Summer Access to Lexis
Access to Lexis will continue during the summer. As long as you are registered for Lexis you do not have to do anything to continue using Lexis Advance this summer. You may use Lexis for work or school during the summer. In the fall, usage reverts back to academic use only.
Summer Access to Westlaw
You can use Thomson Reuters products, including Westlaw, Practical Law, and the Practice Ready solutions, over the summer for non-commercial research. You can turn to these resources to gain understanding and build confidence in your research skills, but you cannot use them in situations where you are billing a client. Examples of permissible uses for your academic password include the following:
- Summer coursework
- Research assistant assignments
- Law Review or Journal research
- Moot Court research
- Non-Profit work
- Clinical work
- Externship sponsored by the school
You do not have to do anything to gain access to these tools over the summer. If you have any questions, please contact your Thomson Reuters Academic Account Manager.
Access to Bloomberg Law continues over the summer. You may use your Bloomberg Law password for any purpose during the summer as well as year-round. The court dockets and transactional resources may be particularly useful to those working at law firms over the summer.
Other databases accessible over the summer:
You still have access to these great databases for some time after graduation!
- Lexis Advance IDs: Spring graduates have access to Lexis Advance via their law school IDs through December 31, 2019. This ID also grants them access to the Graduate Home Page (detailed below).
- LexisNexis Rewards Point Expiration: Like previous years, spring graduates have until June 30, 2019 to redeem their LexisNexis Rewards points.
- Graduate Home Page: On July 6, 2019, the spring graduates’ view of the Law School Home Page will switch from their current view to the graduate view. This new view will provide helpful information for their careers and job search. Grads will also be able to select a “Graduate Gift.” This year’s gifts are LexisNexis eBooks and online subscriptions for Lexis Practice Advisor, Lexis for Microsoft Office, and Law360.
- Aspire Program: Graduates conducting verifiable 501(c)(3) public interest work may sign up for the Lexis ASPIRE Program for extended access to some items. Please contact our Lexis Account Representative, Jennifer Durkin, at email@example.com, if you have any questions.
You can use Thomson Reuters products, including Westlaw and Practical Law, for 18-months after graduation. Your “Grad Elite” access gives you 60-hours of usage per month, with no restrictions against using them for professional purposes. These tools include:
- Practical Law
- Practical Law Connect
- Drafting Assistant Essential
- Doc and Form Builder
- West LegalEdCenter -one-year, no CLE
Extend access by logging into http://www.lawschool.westlaw.com
Graduates automatically keep full access to Bloomberg Law through their individual account for six months following graduation. Please contact our Bloomberg Law School Relationship Manager, Terry Stedman, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions.