UA has a variety of support and resources available on our campus for students who may need some assistance in the coming weeks.
Recognize signs of distress — Signs of distress include fear, difficulty concentrating, hopelessness, and voiced concerns of panic or worry. If you are concerned about a Zip, please encourage them to seek resources and support. A starting point is the Help-A-Zip Referral program as well as the Counseling and Testing Center.
Food — Students needing access to food can utilize the Campus Cupboard program. Students may request a bag of items [to be picked up in Simmons Hall] through the Zips Care Package program web form online.
If finances are deeply impacted, some students may become newly eligible for government support, such as SNAP, if their jobs are affected. Assistance is available to help guide students through the application process.
Emergency Aid — For those facing unexpected loss of wages during this time or in need of emergency financial assistance, guidance and resources may be available through the Student Emergency Financial Assistance [SEFA] program. Students are encouraged to complete a Help-A-Zip Referral online.
The Salvation Army of Summit County is a support partner for our University of Akron students.
- Students needing food access can receive a daily, hot meal between 12pm-12:45 at 190 S. Maple St Akron, OH 44302.
- In addition, UA students can request access to a bag of food items each week by calling 330-762-8481.
- Please let them know you are an enrolled UA student seeking support. Per the regular protocol, may be asked to provide your UA ID and/or a current class schedule.
Students who are worried about utility shut-off notices are encouraged to review provider websites, as many have suspended shutting off service during this time. If you are concerned, the Salvation Army may be able to assist you with calls to providers such as utilities or landlords. You are encouraged to call 330-762-8481. Please let the desk know that you are a UA student seeking support.
2-1-1 Summit County Resource Database can be access by going to www.211summit.org or by phone at 330-376-6660. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Questions such as food pantries, medical access, utilities, and more can be answered through this call center, powered by the United Way of Summit County.
- Important information can be found here: http://www.211summit.org/Resources.aspx
The United Way of Summit County will continue to provide free, confidential financial coaching for UA students during this time. You are encouraged to schedule an appointment with UAs liaison from United Way, Tory Longwill, via the online scheduling system or through an email to email@example.com
- During this time, appointments are being held through a video-call feature and more openings [other than Wednesdays] may be available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Schedule here: https://app.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?owner=14441658&calendarID=2277201
Unemployment information is available through the Department of Job and Family Services. If you are currently laid off, due to COVID-19, you are highly encouraged to review the Q/A found here: http://jfs.ohio.gov/ouio/CoronavirusAndUI.stm. Many local businesses such as Acme, GOJO, and Meijer are hiring immediately. We encourage you to visit Handshake [https://uakron.joinhandshake.com/login] and other online search engines for companies looking to fill pivotal openings.
If you are concerned about the ability to access your courses due to COVID-19, please complete a Help-A-Zip Referral – Emergency Assistance. A member of the ZipAssist team can provide direction and resources. Please be detailed in your questions or concerns. Website: www.uakron.edu/referral
Local internet providers are offering short-term deals or free access. Companies such as Comcast and Spectrum released information recently about this discounted access. https://www.xfinity.com/student and https://mobile.spectrum.com/support/article/360040980371/coronavirus-covid19-update