For students who will return to school in the Fall, you still have access to these databases:
Summer Access to Lexis
Access to Lexis will continue during the summer. As long as you are registered for Lexis you do not have to do anything to continue using Lexis Advance this summer. You may use Lexis for work or school during the summer. In the fall, usage reverts back to academic use only.
Summer Access to Westlaw
You can use Thomson Reuters products, including Westlaw, Practical Law, and the Practice Ready solutions, over the summer for non-commercial research. You can turn to these resources to gain understanding and build confidence in your research skills, but you cannot use them in situations where you are billing a client. Examples of permissible uses for your academic password include the following:
- Summer coursework
- Research assistant assignments
- Law Review or Journal research
- Moot Court research
- Non-Profit work
- Clinical work
- Externship sponsored by the school
You do not have to do anything to gain access to these tools over the summer. If you have any questions, please contact your Thomson Reuters Academic Account Manager.
Access to Bloomberg Law continues over the summer. You may use your Bloomberg Law password for any purpose during the summer as well as year-round. The court dockets and transactional resources may be particularly useful to those working at law firms over the summer.
Other databases accessible over the summer:
- The CasemakerX legal research database. This database has good coverage for Ohio. Access for students is free.
- Law Library databases such as HeinOnline and Proquest Legislative Insight.
- Free Fastcase App for iPhone or Android
- For free databases on the Internet, see United States Federal Law – Free Sources and Ohio Law – Free Sources