Message from Andreas Ellis, Director of Alumni and Development:
The Akron Law Alumni Association (“LAA”) Board of Directors has a dedicated position on its Board for an Associate Student Director. This is a two-year appointment through June 30, 2023; the first year (2021/2022) as the Associate Student Director, and the second year (2022/2023) transitioning to the Student Director position. The Board is seeking a 1L or 2L law student in good standing for the Associate Student Director position.
This unique and valuable opportunity provides the Associate Student Director a chance to become involved in alumni leadership and activities with the Law School. The Associate Student Director works with the Student Director to represent Akron Law students, and works with the Student Director and Board to identify ways in which students and alumni may work and communicate together for the benefit of both groups.
The Associate Student Director serves in an ex-officio capacity and is expected to attend all Board meetings which are held at the School of Law on a bi-monthly basis throughout the year (i.e., October, December, February, April, June, and August.) The Board meetings begin at 4:30 p.m., and generally last for one and a half hours. The Associate Student Director is also expected to attend all LAA events (including but not limited to the Centennial Events (Kick-off and Keynote Speaker), the Holiday Party, the Akron Law Alumni Awards Breakfast, and any other event sponsored by the LAA.)
Applications for the 2021/2022 Associate Student Director to the LAA Board should include:
- Why he or she wants to serve on the LAA Board;
- Why the student believes that he or she should be selected for the position; and,
- A copy of the student’s resume.
The LAA Board’s Nominating Committee will review the applications and select students who will be invited to interview at a mutually agreeable time in mid-September 2020. Students with questions should contact Andreas Ellis, Director of Alumni and Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-972-5298. Students interested in this position should e-mail their application materials to LauraLee Sales at email@example.com by 5:00 p.m., Friday, September 3, 2021.
Student Director and Associate Student Director Responsibilities
Student Director Responsibilities:
- Communicate student activities and general consensus to LAA Board at regularly scheduled meetings.
- Take notes during LAA meetings, create meeting minutes, and forward minutes within 48 hours of the meetings to Project Coordinator, Alumni and Development for final edit and distribution.
- On the day of the regularly scheduled LAA meeting, confer with Director of Alumni and Development to discuss Student Director topics to be presented at that meeting.
- Attend SBA meetings and report information to LAA Board at next regularly scheduled Board meeting.
- Promote to other law students and assist on LAA events and projects as instructed by the Director of Alumni and Development, including but not limited to:
- Centennial Events
- Holiday Reception
- Cocktail Reception
- Others (TBD)
- Confer with Director and Project Coordinator, Alumni and Development to organize and promote lunchtime Q&A Panel betw 1L and Alumni
Associate Student Director Responsibilities:
- Learn responsibilities of and assists the Student Director to orchestrate a smooth transition to the Student Director position the following year.