Studying for the bar exam? Drop in to one or more of the workshops offered by ASP to help you fine tune the exam taking skills you are learning in your bar prep class.
Even if you aren’t quite studying for the bar exam yet, but want to get a head start, feel free to sign up.
Each workshop is 1-1.5 hours long, begins at 1 PM, and is repeated at 6 PM. Informal Q & A, with food, begins 30 minutes ahead of the formal start. (The June 17 afternoon workshop will be shifted to 1:45 to accommodate people attending the bar takers cookout!).
- Thursday, June 4: Essay Structure Workshop: Graders spend an average of 2-3 minutes reading each of your essays. Those 2-3 minutes play a large role in whether you will earn a license to practice law. Make those minutes count! Learn to make your essays grader-friendly. [Please bring any practice bar essay you have written ( any state). If you are not bringing a computer please bring 2 paper copies of your essasy and markers in several different colors.] Sign up here.
- Wednesday, June 17: MPT Outlining Workshop: The concept of an MPT is simple – you don’t need to know anything other than how to write like a lawyer. The execution – not so simple. The outlining technique taught in this workshop allows you to organize and write your essay in the 90 minute time frame. Sign up here.
- Thursday, June 25 @1:45 PM and Thursday, July 2 @ 6 PM: MBE Strategies and Tactics: How to approach an MBE question, including a compilation of strategies from multiple sources for avoiding sneaky tricks, eliminating wrong answers, and choosing between the last two options once you’ve eliminated the others. Sign up here.
- Thursday, June 25 @ 6 PM and Thursday, July 2 @ 1 PM: Making up the Rules: How to prepare for, and survive, your mind blanking out at the most inopportune time. The rule-making techniques will help you survive even when you can’t remember the rules. In addition, the techniques used make up the rules in a pinch also improve your understanding of how the rules you are memorize should be structured. Sign up here.
- Wednesday, July 22: MPT Exam Simulation: Every year, a few foolhardy souls never get around to writing any MPT essays until the morning of the first day of the bar exam. That doesn’t usually end well. Take advantage of the opportunity to write an MPT essay under exam conditions. Sign up here.
- Saturday, July 18: Half-day Hangout: More food, an informal repeat of any workshops you missed, a chance to ask whatever you haven’t gotten around to asking, I’ll time essays, MPTs, or MBE sets. Whatever (within reason) will help you make it through this final stretch. (Details to be announced – likely 10 AM – 1 PM).
For more information: Nancy Reeves, Assistant Director of Academic Success Programs. email@example.com, 330-972-6809, or drop in to Room L-315 between 11 AM and 7 PM.