One of the components of the Uniform Bar Exam (and most state bar exams) is the Multistate Performance Test (MPT). The test is a closed universe test (you don’t have to know any law), that allows you to demonstrate how well you can perform like a lawyer. It is a deceptively challenging task – and most examinees don’t respect how dificult it is, until it is too late to master the necessary skills.
You have the opportunity to change that!
For the next 2 Saturdays (June 1 & June 8), from 2:00 – 5:00, Academic Success is offering an extended MPT workshop. We’ll tackle three MPTs over the two weekends. You’ll be exposed to the most common tasks (letters, memos, and litigation documents) and at least one uncommon task (drafting interrogatories, writing a will, reviewing a contract or a policy for a customer).
There is homework for the first workshop – a first draft of the March v. Betts MPT (assigned on Friday to the students who are studying for the July bar exam). Let me know if you need a copy.
Sign up here to let me know you’re coming (or to let me know the dates don’t work for you, but you would be interested at a different time).
In addition to the Extended MPT Workshop, we’ll be starting an MPT-of-the-month club. Stay tuned for details!
Questions – email@example.com
Extended Bar Prep Sessions through July (all meet in Room 325 unless otherwise noted):
- Saturday 10:30 – 12:30 – this week Agency
- Saturday 4:00 – 6:00 – Cleveland – Snow Road branch of Cuyahoga County Public Library – this week Contracts
- Mondays 6:30 – 8:30 PM (this week topic up for grabs – what would you like?)
- Wednesdays 2:00 – 4:00 (topic up for grabs – what would you like?) – generally led by Director Armstrong
- Saturdays 10:30 – 12:30 – Room 325 (This week Agency) – generally led by Dean Reeves
- Saturdays 4:00 – 6:00 – Cleveland – Snow Road branch of the Cuyahoga County Public Library (This week Contracts) – led by Director Armstrong
Extended bar prep study groups are specifically intended for people studying for the July bar exam – but all are welcome. It is never too early to get started practicing essay writing for the bar exam (and refreshing your recollection of classes you’ve taken)!
Academic Success Programs is offering two MBE (multiple choice) practice sessions to help you refresh your multiple choice skills and shake a bit of the dust that’s collected on your 1L subjects off before you take the Baby Bar this week.
- Tuesday, April 23, from 5PM – 6PM in Room 160
- Thursday, April 25, from 5 PM – 6 PM in Room 160
Assistant Director Armstrong will walk through BARBRI questions chosen from the subjects that will be tested on the Baby Bar, using BARBRI’s systemic problem solving method.
Question? Drop by ASP!
Get a jump start on preparing for the bar exam!
Extended Bar Prep Study Group meetings/essays this week:
- Monday 6:30 – 8:30 PM – Secured Transactions
- Tuesday 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM – BBA
- Saturday 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM – Ohio Civil Procedure
- Saturday afternoon (new group meeting in Cleveland) – time and subject will be announced later this week
All groups, except the new Saturday group, meet in Room 135. The sessions are a good opportunity to learn Ohio essay skills – and to refresh/start learning the subjects before you’re in the middle of bar preparation.
The study groups are designed for students taking the bar exam this summer – but anyone who plans to take a bar exam in the future is welcome! It’s never too soon to start preparing for the bar exam.
Extended Bar Prep this week – all sessions in 325
- Monday Evening 6:30 – 8:30 – Criminal Law
- Tuesday Morning 10:30 – 12:30 – TBD
- Saturday Morning 10:30 – 12:30 – Secured Transactions
If you missed Secured Transactions, Saturday is a good opportunity to become familiar with the concepts before the formal start of bar prep. Monday is a good opportunity to start learning Ohio-specific criminal law for the bar exam.
Questions? Assistant Dean Nancy Reeves – firstname.lastname@example.org